Earl September

My photo
I write what ever comes to mind. Real is me and my views/opinion. Be Yourself, be REAL Open-minded young South African who loves to follow South African politics and social issues. I try not to limit myself as I'm capable of more than where I'm now.

Sunday 22 June 2014

Why Communication is Important for Metrorail

It is no secret that I criticize Metrorail, especially their communication with customers and I will continue to do so. 
I have however been asked and also accused of wanting to be their communication manager.  That is the reason behind this post.

At the moment I am not interested in the position as the position is not vacant. In my view though, the Communications Manager is more an Information Manager. Reason for this is captured in part two of why I feel communication is important for Metrorail. Although mainly because she through an advisory/press release inform and don’t communicate.

Part Two would be:
Communication is a process in which a sender conveys a message in a chosen medium along a communication channel to a receiver, who interprets the message and responds to it” writes Althea du Plessis in her book “Communication for Selling”.
She goes on that Communication in its numerous forms can be seen as the most important human activity. I agree with this and with the statement that misunderstandings because of ineffective communication are costly in terms of money, time and human relations.

Part one would be: the open secret that Metrorail’s troubles will not disappear overnight, nor would fixing the challenges happen overnight – it is thus important for Metrorail to communicate effectively and proactively in order to try and restore confidence amongst commuters.

I’ve tweeted this and mentioned it to the former and current Regional Managers, Metrorail Western Cape don’t lack resources to communicate effectively. Before and while visiting Metrorail Western Cape's Operational Centre (CMOCC) I've identified the Regional Manager lacks the buy in and commitment from the management and staff. If Metrorail really cares about their customers/commutes they would make communication their number one priority.

Friday I met newly appointed Cape Metrorail Regional Manager, Richard Walker (who is no stranger to Cape Town). We had a very good engagement and it would appear as if Mthuthuzeli Swartz left the struggling company in good hands. 

Richard is committed to better communication and will bring in new communication tools, revise current ones and bring back old tools that worked.
The new RM is customer orientated and understands the frustration of commuters. The real results would however be in how his management and staff will support and work with him to deliver a better service to 60% of the Western Cape's commuting community.

Back to the Communication Manager
If I were the Communication Manager, there are three things I would immediately do:
1) Make sure I take a train trip once a week in morning peak and one in afternoon peak to do a quick survey amongst commuters on their experience of Metrorail’s communication with commuters are the different stations. This information I will share with the management and can be used to better the service.
2) I would use MyLine and explain reasons for delays or cancellations in the previous week and create a platform where customers can share their ideas to better the service.

3) I would be visible when there are massive delays in peak time. Even if it means taking a car to one of the bigger stations like Bellville, Mutual or Salt River and engage with commuters.

No comments:

Post a Comment